Taumaru kiritaki tāpiri More consumer protection

Other options for consumer protection

Depending on the type of issue or concern, there are other options that may help protect consumers:

  • Report a non-registered village to the Registrar of Retirement Villages to investigate

  • File a complaint with the Financial Markets Authority concerning a statutory supervisor 

  • The Retirement Villages Association is a membership organisation that has its own disciplinary authority hearing complaints against member villages. This complaint process is unrelated to the complaint facility and dispute panel system provided under the Retirement Villages Act 2003

  • The New Zealand Law Society offers an early resolution service for complaints concerning lawyers and clients

Complaints relating to residential care

  • Access a Health and Disability Advocate or file a complaint about care services or treatment with the Health and Disability Commissioner 

  • Call the District Health Board (DHB) funding manager for older people in your region to raise concerns about possible duplicate charges being made by care providers. Seniorline (0800 725 463) can help direct you to your local DHB, or click on your region here to find DHB contact details

Long-term residential care does not include independent living in a retirement village.

If a resident with an Licence To Occupy (LTO) has been assessed as requiring long-term residential care and qualifies for a residential care subsidy, the LTO will need amending before the subsidy can be paid.

The resident, or someone on their behalf, should approach the operator to end the LTO or amend it so it excludes services covered by the DHB contract for care service (called an Age Related Residential Care contract - ARRC). The care provider is not paid twice for the same set of services.

Operators who are covered by an ARRC with a DHB, and who charge subsidised residents or anyone else for services under an LTO covered by that ARRC, are in breach of their ARRC.

You might also like...