Contract type: Full time
We’re looking for a superstar to support the Retirement Commissioner and lead the operations of our small organisation – loads of variety and a great team await a strategic, organised, and cheerful operator who can both think ahead and also roll their sleeves up when needed.
About the role
The Chief Operating Officer leads the core enabling functions for the Commission including Finance, People, Health, Safety & Wellbeing, Technology, and Business Support. The Chief Operating Officer supports the Retirement Commissioner to ensure the Commission operates efficiently and effectively with high quality strategic, operational, and finance leadership.
Key aspects of the role include:
- Supporting the Retirement Commissioner by ensuring effective and integrated leadership decision making, project management, and organisational planning and outcomes are achieved.
- Leading policy and practice to ensure the Commission provides a safe and supportive environment for all team members.
- Leading the annual budget setting process and associated strategic and financial analysis, working with Directors to achieve the best outcomes consistent with strategy.
- Working with the Director, Stakeholder Relations to produce Statements of Intent and Expectations, and Annual Reports.
- Overseeing the preparation and presentation of financial, management, and performance information.
- Leading legislative and wider compliance activity including but not limited to risk management, government reporting, procurement, internal review, and external audit.
- Overseeing health and capability activity to help drive a collaborative culture and a high performing and engaged team aligned to the purpose and values.
- Ensuring the Commission has quality, effective technology and systems.
About Te Ara Ahunga Ora Retirement Commission
The team at Te Ara Ahunga Ora Retirement Commission is on a mission to help New Zealanders retire with confidence. With a multigenerational approach we want to ensure people feel secure they'll have resources and the know-how to make ends meet. You might know us for our award-winning sorted.org.nz website, but there's much more to us than that.
We focus on three areas: Retirement Policies, Retirement Villages and Financial Capability. We advise Government on the policies to enhance retirement outcomes for New Zealanders, including monitoring the framework for retirement villages. Together with a range of partners we help build financial wellbeing and contribute to a better understanding of what retirement means in the 21st century. Come and join an organisation who is passionate about making a difference!
Role specific skills and experience
We are seeking applicants with the following key skills and experience:
- Relevant tertiary qualification in finance/ business - preferably CA qualified
- Public sector experience highly desirable
- At least ten years’ experience in a senior corporate services role - a demonstrated track record in managing people and core business services from a process, technology, and compliance perspective
Benefits and perks
- 5 weeks’ annual leave
- 6% KiwiSaver employer contributions
- Hybrid working: we work from home 2 days each week
- The ability to be part of an organisation making a difference to the lives of New Zealanders
- A people-centric culture focused on wellness, teamwork, and diversity